SUSETTE LA FLESCHE Biography - Craftmen, artisans and people from other Occupations


Biography » craftmen artisans and people from other occupations » susette la flesche


Name: Susette La Flesche                                                               
Born: 1854                                                                             
Died: 26 May 1903                                                                     
Susette La Flesche (1854-1903) was a member of a family of Native American             
reformers of the Omaha tribe. She lobbied for Indian rights, encouraged               
assimilation, and professionally advanced in a whiteman's world.                       
Susette La Flesche was the child of Joseph La Flesche, also known as Inshtamaza       
or Iron Eye, the last chief of the Omaha tribe (1853-64). The son of a French         
fur trader, who was also named Joseph La Flesche, and Waoowinchtcha, variously         
mentioned as a member of the Osage, Omaha, or Ponca tribes, Iron Eye often             
worked with his father, experiencing the white man's world. After a childhood         
spent among the Sioux, he joined his father in St. Louis for a time, accompanied       
him on trading ventures, learned French, and became a Christian. Iron Eye             
concluded that the only feasible future for the American Indian was to adapt to       
the white man's ways and to strive for peaceful coexistence.                           
Still, Iron Eye lived in two worlds; he continued to respect the traditions and       
rituals of his own people and maintained a close relationship with several             
tribes. His friendship with the Omaha chief Big Elk, who had no descendants, led       
to the naming of Iron Eye as successor to head the dwindling tribe (as early as       
1830 only 900 Omahas remained). In 1854, Iron Eye was one of several Indian           
leaders who signed a treaty with the government relinquishing their traditional       
hunting grounds and accepting the establishment of reservations. The Omaha gave       
up their lands in eastern Nebraska, and moved onto a small reservation bordering       
the Missouri River, north of their previous territory near the mouth of the           
Platte River. According to the ethnologist, Alice C. Fletcher, tribal                 
traditionalists ridiculed the new reservation as the "make-believe white man's         
As was common among the Omahas, Iron Eye had several wives. Two of them, Mary         
Gale or Hinnuaganun (One Woman) and Tainne or Elizabeth Esau, bore him children.       
Mary's mother was an Ioway woman, Ni-co-mi; her father Dr. John Gale was a U.S.       
army surgeon. Raised by Peter Sarpy, a white fur trader, Mary encouraged her           
children to leave the reservation and live among whites. She and Joseph La             
Flesche had five children, including Susette and Susan. Tainne, an Omaha woman,       
also had five children, but only Francis permanently left the reservation.             
In 1854, Susette La Flesche was born on the newly established reservation, the         
second child of Joseph La Flesche and Mary. Named Inshtatheumba (Bright Eyes),         
she was often called "Yosette." She entered the Omaha Presbyterian Mission             
School at the age of eight; her eagerness to learn attracted the attention of         
her teachers, and she was subsequently invited to attend a Presbyterian seminary       
for women, The Elizabeth (New Jersey) Institute. Following her graduation in           
1873, she returned home and applied for a position as a teacher in a government       
school. Although the Indian Bureau had an announced policy of giving preference       
to Native Americans in employment on the reservation, she had some difficulty in       
obtaining her position.                                                               
The opportunity for her to become a spokesperson for Indian rights developed in       
1877. The government, confusing the Poncas, members of the Southern Sioux tribes,     
with the warlike Dakota Sioux, assigned the traditional Ponca territory to the         
Dakotas, deporting the Poncas to Indian Territory (later the state of Oklahoma).       
The Poncas sickened and died quickly there; as much as one-third of the tribe         
may have been lost. The Omahas were also members of the Southern Sioux, and as         
Iron Eye had many friends and relatives among them, he and Susette went to             
Indian Territory to investigate the conditions there.                                 
Desperate to rescue his people, in 1879 the Ponca Chief Standing Bear led a           
forced march of the survivors north from Indian Territory toward Nebraska. When       
the military arrested and imprisoned him, Thomas H. Tibbles, a journalist             
employed by the Omaha Herald, publicized his cause. In the following trial, U.S.v.     
Crook, the court ruled that "an Indian is a person," leading to Standing Bear's       
release on a writ of habeas corpus, and, eventually, to the government paying         
the Poncas an indemnity and allowing some of them to homestead in Nebraska.           
Following his release, Standing Bear journeyed east to Washington, D.C., to try       
to stop any future Indian removals. Tibbles and Susette and Francis La Flesche         
accompanied him, the latter two in the role of interpreters. Dressed in               
traditional Native American garb and presented as the personification of an           
Indian princess, Susette made a vivid impression on eastern reformers; she spoke       
of her people's plight to a wide range of groups, from the Quakers to New             
England intellectuals, who formed the Boston Indian Citizenship Committee. She         
visited the home of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow who compared her to Minnehaha,         
the heroine of his sentimental poem Hiawatha.                                         
More important, Susette influenced more effective reformers, such as Helen Hunt       
Jackson, author of A Century of Dishonor, a chronicle of federal government           
betrayals of its Indian treaties, and Massachusetts senator Henry L. Dawes,           
sponsor of the Dawes Severalty Act (1887), which broke up the reservations and         
granted the land to individual Indians as homestead plots. Heads of households         
received 160 acres, single individuals over the age of 18 were granted 80 acres,       
and minors 40 acres. The act also gave the Native Americans citizenship rights.       
In 1882, Susette married Thomas Tibbles, and the two began a series of lecture         
tours that took them to England and Scotland, as well as the northeastern United       
States. They testified before congressional committees three times. Susette           
became an eloquent and persuasive speaker; she presented a paper to the               
Association for the Advancement of Women on "The Position, Occupation, and             
Culture of Indian Women," and she edited Standing Bear's Ploughed Under: The           
Story of an Indian Chief.                                                             
In the early 1890s, the Tibbles lived in Washington, D.C., but shortly                 
thereafter returned to Nebraska, where Tibbles edited the Populist newspaper,         
The Independent. Susette worked with him on the paper, but sustained an artistic       
and literary career of her own. She illustrated the book Oo-mah-ha Ta-wa-tha (Omaha   
City) written by Fannie Reed Giffin for the Trans-Mississippi Exposition in           
Omaha in 1898, and published stories in such magazines as St. Nicholas. In 1902,       
Susette and Thomas Tibbles moved to her Omaha land allotment near Bancroft,           
Nebraska, because of her poor health. She died there on May 26, 1903, at the age       
of 49.